Friday 15 January 2010

Studying Abroad – earning your degree in USA vs. earning your degree in Poland - PART II

Universities and colleges offer housing for students everywhere, but not all of them decide to stay on campus. This may be caused in some part by alienation, scare or prejudice. It is no doubt that student drink and party all the time on campuses – at least some percentage of them do. This brings up the subject of deciding whether to commute or stay close to school on campus. Studies show that even the strongest ones fail when it comes to relaxation and partying after tough examinations, which often leads to “binge drinking”. This widely known and highly popular phenomenon is the practice of consuming large quantities of alcoholic beverages in a single session. Binge drinking carries a serious risk of harm, including alcohol poisoning. It includes keg stands, tens of shots at a time etc. Center for Science in the Public Interest carried out a survey and study showing that 44% of students attending 4-year colleges drink alcohol at the binge level or greater and that 48% of college drinkers report that ‘drinking to get drunk’ is an important reason for drinking. This institution also found out that in 2007, about 10.8 million persons ages 12-20 (28.2% of this age group) reported drinking alcohol in the past month. Nearly 7.2 million (18.8%) were binge drinkers, and 2.3 million (6.0%) were heavy drinkers. Around 50 to 60 people aged 17-23 die each year because of binge drinking.





There have been hundreds of ads and reports flying around, trying to inform people about binge drinking, trying to prevent it and most of all, trying to make students think twice before they decide to do it:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jftfU30xJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwkL0tyeee4

Questions for Part II:

  1. What do you think about staying on campus while attending a 4-year college? Or maybe you prefer commuting to school and staying home?
  2. What is your opinion on binge drinking? Have you ever tried it? How did you feel after it? Maybe someone you know has tried it?

9 comments:

  1. Staying on campus while attending a college can be really fun, I guess. Haven't done that, but I have visted my friend who did and it looked fun. Maybe because I didn't have to study there and live every day.

    The idea of drinking just to get drunk for me is absurd. However it is quite popular among young people. Probably, because drinking is new for them and finally they can get drunk and know what is it all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staying in campus during studies is a good idea for people, who start studies to get fun - for sure it is not good idea for people who want to learn something.. I have some short experience with living in campus and all I remember from that that there was only a party time, many times from early morning hours..

    I do not agree with you s4828 in your opinion of drinking - when I am drinking alcohol, I am doing this to get drunked, and then I have a great fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Szymon. But maybe it depends a bit on people around you. If you have friends that study only for fun, you become similar. I know many students who don't have any problems with learning in campus. Anyway I'd rather live in ordinary flat than campus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree with you guys. I lived 3 years in Warsaw Polytechnik Akademik and I can say that not everyone is there for fun.
    Of course there are many parties etc. but if you want to learn, you can. My last roommates are great example of this.
    By the way - I didn't live there for fun only because there was cheaper (than rent flat in Warsaw).
    I agree with one thing - In my own flat is better to learn. There are peace and quiet.

    What is your opinion on bringe drinking?
    Have you ever tried it?How did you feel after it? Maybe someone you know has tried it?

    I've never tried so I don't know how it is.
    I only saw bringe drinking competition in TV but it's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staying on campus, why not. But in my situation where I live near Warsaw and commute about 40-60 minutes to school it would be pointless. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think our school doesn't have any campus.
    I can remember a lot of situations where I had to almost carry my friends home, but can't remember any when someone carried me (no, I don't have memory blanks when I drink ;) ). So although sometimes I drink a lot I know my limits, and know when to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't agree with you Szymon. Lot of my friends staying in campus and they don't have any problems with learning. Some of people who live on campus stay there only for fun, but other stay there because they must and want to learn somethig.
    I drink only occasionally so I don't know how it is..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you think about staying on campus while attending a 4-year college? Or maybe you prefer commuting to school and staying home?
    What is your opinion on binge drinking? Have you ever tried it? How did you feel after it? Maybe someone you know has tried it?

    Campus brings people together so you can taste life of a real student :) Maybe students on campus are drinking more often but it doesn't mean anything especially that they're alcoholics or stupid. In my opinion everything depends on us and our choices...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you think about staying on campus while attending a 4-year college? Or maybe you prefer commuting to school and staying home?

    If someone like to "study", the campus is good idea, you can meet a lot of new people, have fan in the parties, but if someone really want to "learn", he must have more silence and privacy and renting a room is better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you think about staying on campus while attending a 4-year college? Or maybe you prefer commuting to school and staying home?

    Dude staying in home? Are you kidding me? Think about all the parties, girls :D:D:D and alcohol and you will know that while studing in american college the only place to live in is the campus :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D


    2. What is your opinion on binge drinking? Have you ever tried it? How did you feel after it? Maybe someone you know has tried it?

    I have never tried bringe drinking and I don't know anybody who has tried it. I thing that american college bringe drinkers maybe are good at quick drinking a lot of beer but I know that a lot of them when hear "I'm from Poland" they say "woow, you are from the country that drinks vodka" :D:D:D:D. Which I think is funny.

    ReplyDelete