Wednesday 28 October 2009

Note #1: Photography – different perspective on the world

Since I remember, I always liked photography. This, how somebody can “freeze a moment” always delight me. I wanted to have a camera but there was a one big problem – good equipment costs a lot. I never liked to buy “anything”, so I haven’t got camera (exactly digital SLR camera, not compact camera).
But that was a long time ago. Last year I bought my first digital SLR – Pentax k200d. I sought it a very long time, because – as I wrote above – I don’t like to buy anything. So I read whole Internet ;) and I thought that there is the best choice for value for money – and I wasn’t wrong :)

This is my camera :)


It was a standard set – body (camera without lens) and kit lens 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens is a starter lens). Of course I must buy also a set of good batteries. A moment later I read the instructions to know where are the basic settings and how to take a pictures. And this was how I began my adventure with photography.
My first photos wasn’t good, but when I like something I very fast learn this, so my skills are still better. Some examples of my beginnings:

Gdański Bridge

Gdański Bridge once again

Traffic lights and lanterns


I photographed almost everything! But standard lens was no longer sufficient  because I had a newer and newer ideas. I put a few hundred ziz and went to a little photo shop (funny combination of words ;) ) near Sobieski Hotel in Warsaw and I bought my first tele lens – Tamron 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro.

Tamron 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

This lens is amazing! At the beginning I had some problem with normal using, but then…I fell in love when I went with this lens over the sea and I knew its advantages. Some sample photos taken with this lens:

Jastarnia

Hel

Jastarnia

Brusno

Brusno

Meantime I found two analog lens from my father cameras. They were Pentacon 50 mm f/1.8 (very bright!) and Carl-Zeiss Sonnar 135 mm f/3.5.

Pentacon 50mm f/1.8
great brightness, idealy for portraits with beauty focus depth

Carl-Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/3.5
very good lens, with good brightness for this focal

Both lens are great, especially Pentacon – because of brightness. I really like to take the photos using this lens. It have a beautiful bokeh (Bokeh). Several sample photos:


Plant


Very original spider's web (it's similar to bird ;) )

Abandoned factory


I really love this, but lately I don’t have enough time to photograph :( I still try to find a spare moment but without success.
Anyway, if you would like you can view and rate some of my photos on my blog.


Do you like photography?
Maybe you are amateur photographer too? Maybe a professional?
What is the your opinion about photography as an art?


PS. All camera and lens photos are taken from optyczne.pl and google. The others (shown as examples) are pictures taken by me. All right reserved ;)

18 comments:

  1. First of all - nice photos ("Abandoned factory" is my favourite). When I catch same hours of sleep I would surely see the rest on your blog. I'm just average amateur using Leica D-lux 3 compact. I agree it's fun, and gives much of possibilities to play with different lenses, but I wanted a camera which would be always with me in my bag. I rather don't go to 'do some photos'. Just taking it out when I feel the scene is shoot-able. Maybe next year I would move to Olympus E-P1. Opinion about photography being art - everything could be an art. Good picture definitely is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using Canon EOS 350D (in the US they prefer the name Digital Rebel XT). I am really very satisfied with this camera. It never gets frozen, caused me a lot of pleasure and even for a non-professional like me, its a perfect tool to take amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photography always was the thing that I wanted to do, and I have never started. I am thinking of buying Canon EOS 50D, and start to take most beauty full photos ever(!), but I am worried about my STROHFEUER (? Słomiany zapał ;)), and I am sure that this camera could never be used! It was the same with my electronic guitar.. I am thinking of starting to learn to play on, but I have used this guitar only few times since November 2007;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Szymon, I had once similar dillemas but with music. Although I haven't bought this equipment (console with 2 adapters) because this was a straw enthusiasm :)
    But with photography I have different situation. When I took the camera in my hands I learned to use this camera in less than a week :) And till today I want to learn more and more :) It depends on willingness and commitment. I hope that once you start and you shall know the delights of photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using Nikon d70 with nikkor 18 - 55 dx series. I am not a professional photographer but I think your pictures are really good.

    Prefers a photo reportage but every year when I'm in Ruciane I will go to a huge abandoned factory, and I am doing some photos.
    I love abandoned places, especially industrial. Unfortunately, there are less and less :(

    In the next year I am planning to travel Trans-Siberian Railroad. Maybe I can find interesting subjects to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos. But I don't know anything about photography. I don't have even camera :} In spite of that I think it is amazing artistic medium. Maybe thanks to your article I'll try to make some photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very good photos!! I'm using Sony alpha and Nikon d70, but I take only amateur pictures and only on my free time. Two years ago I studied press and media photography at University of Warsaw... But I did't bring together these study with PJ...;/ So I had to give up. But I like taking pictures and maybe some day I back there and train in that direction...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos. Good work.
    But have You ever tried analog photography? Unfortunatelly digital cameras were design for everyone. Nowadays everyone can take Digital Manual SLR, go somewhere take photos - put them to PhShop. I admire dogital photos, especially good...but in most of them you are not able to separate "skills and talented eye" from "good hardware and effective applications".
    This is a chanse for beginners to increase a level of skilles - but when you suddenly have a background - analog is a chellenge.

    Nice photos - once again.
    Cheerio, Tomek

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you are amateur photographer too? Maybe a professional?
    I like photography, but I've never been enough involved in it as a photographer. I rather like watch and admire others work.


    What is the your opinion about photography as an art?
    Definitely, thats an art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Nice photos. Good work.
    But have You ever tried analog photography?(...)"
    thanks for the opinion. I believe that not equipment but skills makes you a good photographer. From the second side you are right - analog camera is a challenge and there is need a good theoretical knowledge.
    Anyway, I haven't got analog camera :)


    Best

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm of course an amotour photographer however a few years ago I used to treat it very seriously. It is a very good way of catching nice moments from our lives which will never come back. It a good idea to take pictures of our children or ourselves when we are young. At the age of 60, 70 or 80 it will be great to see how young and beautiful we were :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Photography is a very interesting activity and it is based on catching meaningful moments. Personally, I really like taking pictures of beautiful places and memorable moments but I don't do it professionally. I enjoy watching photos taken by professionals because they can give the viewer an amazing feeling about something one have never seen or felt before. The emotion, motive, color and shape caught by a camera sometimes represent more than words can say. Photography makes you look at things. Our world is an amazing place that can be discovered and admired if we only can find the time to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Photography may be an interesting hobby however quite an expensive one. I personally like to watch pictures rather than take them. For best photos you have to always carry your camera around, because you never know what can happen. It is nice to have pictures from your holidays or parties but if you have a good memory you don't need them :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very nice photos. I always wanted to do the same as you but like Szymon said i`m afraid that i`ll lose my enthusiasm quickly and spent a lot of money. I bought a compact camera just to save memories but a quality of photos is horrible so i used it only few times. One way or another i admire your passion and wish you great success in photography.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to congratulate Your photos. Really nice works! For me photographs are an art... I impressed how photographers catch a moment.
    I would like to try take a photos... maybe in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice photos. I always liked watching good photos and always said to myself that someday I'll buy a good camera and try it myself. The same as you I didn't want to buy "anything". Unfortunately every time I had a bit more spare money there where other more important things on which I had to spend them. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you like photography? - yes and no, because I like taking a photos, but I don't see anything special in this

    Maybe you are amateur photographer too? Maybe a professional? - big amateur ;)

    What is the your opinion about photography as an art? - Well, it's some kind of art, because there is many elements to consider when doing photos, so good photographer must have big skills and some kind of talent to do that

    ReplyDelete