Friday 27 November 2009

Polish drivers



In my previous post I wrote about what is wrong with Polish roads. Today I would like to write about what I think is wrong with Polish drivers.

Poland is a country with large numbers of drivers who do not meet accepted Western European norms in terms of driving skills. Many of us have extremely dangerous driving habits. These rather primitive driving habits include but are not limited to: overtaking in the face of oncoming vehicles, and then expecting the oncoming car and the car being overtaken to flee into the emergency lane; overtaking on blind bends; aggressive tailgating; overtaking on the inside on dual carriageway roads; exceeding the speed limit in the most dangerous locations.

City intersections and zebra crossings are highly hazardous to your health. Jumping lights, which have just changed to red, is common. Cars generally only stop at zebra crossings if there are pedestrians in the middle of the road.

All this summed up with the poor road infrastructure give thousands of deaths every year. Driving through Poland we can notice shrines and crosses along the roads, which mark the place where someone was killed in a road accident.

As all of you live in Poland I don’t have to prove any of what I said, however I found a video on YouTube which shows some of the behaviors I have described.



After watching the video have a look at what people wrote in the comments. It’s sad but most of them rather wrote “awesome” whereas they should “stupid”.

I have also googled a bit to find out what foreigners think about driving in Poland. Take a look at what I found:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070526141440AAFC9dd

For more videos on crazy driver’s checkout this compilation on wyborcza.pl:
http://wyborcza.pl/1,76842,6812143,Najglupsi_kierowcy_na_polskich_drogach.html

Questions

Why so many of us do so many stupid things while driving?

Why can’t we show each other more respect on the road?

Do you have any special techniques to survive on the road?

Do you feel safe as a pedestrian in Warsaw?

What are your feelings after watching the included video?

9 comments:

  1. After watching this video, I hope that I would never meet this kind of drivers on road. I think that polish roads are not safe, and when drivers are driving like this for me it is kamikaze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice move. I mean, not nice - awesome. It shows the bad side of the big cars drivers. They drive like that because they know that small cars can't hurt them...
    Why can’t we show each other more respect on the road? I think we can.. we just don't want too.. that's sad..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that a lot of young people are very careless while driving because they think they know everything about cars and driving. In spite of the fact that they have had their driving licenses for 2 or something years, they behave as if they were old drivers. Some other people simple want to show off. I really don’t like people who drive recklessly maybe because I am a very careful driver. Sometimes I feel really uncomfortable on our roads as I often see some very stupid drivers because of whom somebody can die. One driver can be extremely careful and do everything in accordance with Highway Code but unfortunately it may become useless as he can die because of one stupid drunk guy who may bump into you. My technique to survive on roads is not to go anywhere during the rush hour or to use underground or tram.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are your feelings after watching the included video?
    Unfortunatelly beahviours such like present movie is prevalent event on polish roads.


    Do you have any special techniques to survive on the road?

    We have to THINK for us and other drivers

    Do you feel safe as a pedestrian in Warsaw?
    In Warsaw pedestrians have a perfect conditions in equals to pedestrians on suburbs or countries where they haven't got a side walks and they must use the road as sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why so many of us do so many stupid things while driving?

    Because "so many of us" ARE stupid?...

    Why can’t we show each other more respect on the road?

    See 1st ans.

    Do you have any special techniques to survive on the road?

    This question sounds like we`re now under zombie attack or sth :). No i don't.

    Do you feel safe as a pedestrian in Warsaw?

    Generally i don't have any problem with safety as a pedestrian especially in Warsaw.

    What are your feelings after watching the included video?

    Truck driver was stupid and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polish drivers have many stupid/dangerous habits.
    I'm not driver so I can only say what I think about this case.
    In European Countries have many rools for bad drivers and the right financial penalties for them.
    For example:
    Even if someone calls by phone while he's driving - He must pay fine.
    It could break off them from stupid hapits during driving.


    Do you feel safe as a pedestrian in Warsaw?

    Definitely I don't.
    If I've almost been ran over crossing the road by some stupid driver.
    I can't say,I feel safe as a pedestrian in Warsaw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People often do stupid things while driving because they are in a hurry, late or filled with stress that they are trying to get rid of by driving carelessly. Another factor is the need to impress others. When driving with friends, people and being egged on to drive faster or to pass even in dangerous situations. People cannot show more respect to others because they feel they are the kings of the road and they fail to understand that there exists a possibility of getting involved in a car accident. My best technique is to think not only for myself, but also for everyone else around me-try to predict what would be your "opponent’s" next move. This process, while involving lots of concentration, saved me and my car couple of times. Being a pedestrian isn’t easy, especially for older people. If you have strong legs and can run fast, you’re good to go. After watching the 'Tirolot' movie I only feel bad for those people who had to be on the road at the same time with this moron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why so many of us do so many stupid things while driving?
    -Most of stupid things on road is result of lack imagination and small experience.


    Do you have any special techniques to survive on the road?
    -Yes I have. According of the rules "you get what you give"

    What are your feelings after watching the included video?
    -Truck driver was very stupid

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why so many of us do so many stupid things while driving?

    - why? becouse most of the drivers think that they are the God, the owner of the road and the only experience driver on the road and probably they didin't hear such long and compicated word as imagination

    Do you have any special techniques to survive on the road?

    - yes, I think while driving and I don't trust other drivers

    What are your feelings after watching the included video?

    - The truck driver was "very inteligent" but the guy's that where driving behind him showed how "inteligent" were they.

    ReplyDelete