Saturday 7 November 2009

What to choose: a pedigree or mongrel dog?

I suppose that everyone likes to look at beautiful pedigree dogs. Nevertheless, we should remember that it is not the case how our beloved dog looks like but what it is like. One dog can be cute and lovely but not smart enough to be a real, devoted friend. Mongrel dogs are as friendly and wise as the pedigree. Most people’s hearts break to see sad animals in shelters but unfortunately few of us adopt such dogs. I am also such a person but I didn’t have a different choice. I had to buy a dog which wouldn’t cause an allergy and lose its fur. Although, I haven’t got a mutt from a shelter I would really like to have a one to live with full conviction that I can save sth’s life or make it much better. I would like to encourage everyone to adopt a poor dog from a shelter and not to buy a one from illegal breeders.

How to teach your dog some tricks?



It is a common belief that only young dogs can learn tricks. Well… in my opinion it is not true. Each dog wants to spend as much time with its owner as possible. Some dogs are just bored with sitting all days in flats and it would be a great attraction for them to go out from home and fetch. But one can ask how to do that? You have to find a peaceful area without any dogs or people. Your dog and you should be alone, for example on a big empty field or on the meadow. You have to let it off the lead and start playing, ex. you run and your dog chase you and never the other way around. In general, you have to play with it, and you mustn’t punish it. From time to time, you should give it some snacks. The basic thing is that your dog has to come back to you when you call it. If a dog knows that, you can start playing with a stick or with its favorite toy. When your dog becomes addicted to fetching and does not see anything else apart from a ball or a stick (just like my dog), you can go for a walk to a common place. I did like that. Later, you can teach your dog “give me a paw” and so on. Snacks are crucial!


Start watching from the 35 second of the recording.



Questions…
  • Does your dog know any tricks? If yes, how did you manage to teach it?
  • Do you think teaching dogs tricks is good or bad and why?

9 comments:

  1. I agree with the statement that it doesn't matter what is in our dog's birth certificate, but the way our dog presents himself, how he acts and behaves is the most important thing. Let me start with saying that teachnig dogs tricks is a very good idea. It improves and develops dog's brain and convinces the dog that we care about him and that we really like spending time with him. My dog knows just the basic tricks such as bow, shake hands, stand up on rear legs, fetch etc. These weren't that hard to teach, especially because we have started the teaching process very early. The earlier you start, the better the outcome will be because the dog remembers more and is easier to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was youner I wanted to have a dog but I'm alegic their fur so i dont have any pets and now when I'm older I'm glad, because it is pretty big responsibilty and I am a lazy person :P. Concluding, my dog does not know any tricks ;) but I think that teaching dogs tricks is a good idea because besides as Rafał mentioned it develops thier brains it also let them have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and Rafal that not apperance is important but a "personality". When you teach you dog tricks your`re having fun and dog as well. You`re proud that he`s not just a stupid animal but very smart dog and this all thanks to you. You`re happy, dog is happy, everyone`s are happy :P
    Bang! check this out: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1pOUb8a_g&NR=1) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that my dog doesn't know any trick... maybe he think else ;) I try learn something my dog but after several lessons I have given up ;)... and I still love him. For me it is unnecessary unless my dog would like to do something like that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3T3sYZ9eBk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bluJaIMQN0k

    Extreme pete is master!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't learn my dogs any tricks but that little beast is pretty smart in some situations and has learned some tricks by itself. Unfortunately all the tricks see knows are tricks involved with getting food and candies from people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't dog so I can't give you any practise advise about training dogs.
    I think that teaching dogs tricks is very good idea and what's more in my opinion training dogs is necessary.
    If we pamper them to much , we'll have many problems with them later. If we have to teaching dogs, we should do it very early.

    Here is example how to teach dog to sit and stay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-W0GN5Ihjc&NR=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. >Does your dog know any tricks? If yes, how did >you manage to teach it?
    I don't have dog. I don't have any pet. Well, I never had... .
    >Do you think teaching dogs tricks is good or >bad and why?
    I think it might be bad if you're forcing your dog to perform some trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes my dog know some tricks... My friend learn him so I didn't know how.
    For me it's unnecessary but it's nice when we can play with our dogs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think teaching dogs tricks is good or bad and why?

    It's good. For dogs it is a fun with the owner, and it is a occasion to develop ability to learn new things by them self (of course the dogs, not the owners ;-) )

    ReplyDelete